This year Nordregio Forum will focus on the potential of bioeconomy for growth and inclusive development in peripheral and sparsely populated regions, especially in the Arctic. Our distinguished speakers will highlight research results, case studies and policy recommendations within the following topics:
- Bioeconomy mapping – Towards an innovative and responsible bioeconomy
- How can new innovative use of local natural resources contribute to regional economic growth and development?
- What are the socio-economic and environmental consequences of the rise and fall of large-scale projects
- Multilevel governance and spatial planning in connection with large-scale projects
- Demographic challenges in the Arctic – What attracts young men and women, and skilled workers?
The forum also includes excellent networking opportunities, as well as an exciting excursion to Grindavik, Asbru and Reykjanes, showing regional development in practice.
The forum welcomes officials at relevant ministries in the Nordic countries, staff at regional and local authorities, non-governmental organisations, universities, research institutes and private consultants.
Download detailed programme for Nordregio Forum 2014
- Ragnheiður Elín Árnadóttir, Minister of Industry and Commerce, Iceland
- Dagfinn Høybråten, Secretary General, Nordic Council of Ministers
- Calum Davidson, Director of Energy and Low Carbon, Highlands and Islands Enterprise, Scotland
- Peter Mehlbye, Director of the ESPON Coordination Unit, Luxembourg
- Kaisu Annala, Ministry of Employment and the Economy, Finland
- Dadi Mar Kristofersson, Dean of School of Social Sciences, University of Iceland
- Göran Cars, Professor, Royal Institute of Technology and Kiruna Municipality
- Anna Karlsdottir, Associate Professor, University of Iceland
- Keith Storey, Memorial University of Newfoundland St John’s, Canada
- Sveinn Margeirsson, Director, Matis, Iceland
- Sigrun Elsa Smáradóttir, Research Group Leader, Matis, Iceland
- Ida Rönnlund, Consultant at Gaia, for Nordic Innovation
- Clas Engström, Director, SP Processum Biorefinery Initiative
- Thóroddur Bjarnason, Professor, University of Akureyri
- Gunnel Gustafsson, Director, Professor in Political Science, Nordforsk
- Trond Nilsen, Senior Researcher, Northern Research Institute, Alta
- Håkan Ylinenpää, Professor, Luleå Technical University
- Mathias Barfod, Ministry of Industry and Mineral Resources, Government of Greenland
- Rasmus Ole Rasmussen, Senior Research Fellow, Nordregio
- Jukka Teräs, Senior Research Fellow, Nordregio
- Liisa Perjo, Research Fellow, Nordregio
- Lisbeth Greve Harbo, Research Fellow, Nordregio
The list will be updated with additional speakers.
The forum will conclude with an excursion to Grindavík. Download the detailed programme.
Practical information and prices
Day 1+2 incl. dinners and excursion 1800 SEK excl. VAT
Day 1 incl. lunch 600 SEK excl. VAT
Day 2 incl. lunch 600 SEK excl. VAT
Conference dinner at Blue Lagoon 600 SEK excl. VAT
Excursion incl. dinner 600 SEK excl. VAT
Please register by 31 October. The number of participants is limited and your registration is binding.
Register for Nordregio Forum 2014
Hotel rooms are pre-booked until 14 October at Hotel Keflavik and Hotel Keilir. To make a reservation, contact the hotels.
Hotel Keflavik: +354 420 7000 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Hotel Keilir: +354 420 9800 or email@example.com
The forum is organised by Nordregio, the Icelandic Ministry of Industries and Innovation, the Nordic Council of Ministers, and the Icelandic Regional Development Institute.
Announcement from Nordregio’s website.